Thursday, May 17, 2012

Geek My Cake! (Part Two)

Next up on Geek My Cake, Anime cakes! 

I love anime and manga. When my family asks for characters from favorite shows to be on their cakes, I'm happy to oblige.

First up, for my nephew a young Goku cake! Goku is actually a pretty easy character to draw (very simple eyes). Once you've sketched him a couple of times (and believe me, I've done my share of Dragonball/Z fan art - http://lovellschibichara.deviantart.com/), drawing him on a cake is a fairly easy task. Honestly, the hardest part is probably mixing the black frosting.


Next, here's a perennial classic: Hello Kitty! Best of all, she's a fairy riding on a unicorn. It's like three wonderful worlds combined! This was actually my first time drawing kitty and was based on a puzzle that I purchased for my niece.


This here is my cake! Yes, I decorated my very own birthday cake. As you can see, this is my favorite version of Usagi/Sailor Moon: Princess Serenity. Her portrait is accented by a bouquet of roses (my favorite two-tone).


Next in line is a (fairly) recent favorite: Gaara, from Naruto! My niece likes a lot of "bad boy" characters. I would be worried, but she's only eight and also like Raoul from Phantom (you can't get any more boring and safe than that guy). Plus, Gaara ends up OK in the end. Either way, I was more than happy to fulfill her request for the sand village Kazekage.


Finally, my latest in the anime-themed line. He can at times be annoying and a bit...well...lame, but we have much love for the legendary sword, Excalibur. If you do not love this cake, I've got one word for ya': Fool!


 
And remember, "Never talk to me when I am humming to myself."

Next time on Geek My Cake: Adventures in Spaaaaace! But seriously, don't get too excited.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Excalibur cake. I'm turning twenty this year and want a cake like the one in the picture. How do you draw the character on the cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I draw them right on the cake. Usually I sketch it out in a sketchbook, then sketch the design on the cake with a tooth pick, followed by the actually drawing and detailing with the frosting.
      However, you can use the tips here to easily create a character design for a cake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFx38a7Bjfw

      Delete