Thursday, May 10, 2012

Geek My Cake! (Part One)

My family is made up of geeks (or nerds or whatever else you want to call us!), so I get to do a lot of awesome cakes.  Usually, I hand draw characters onto the cakes and outline and color them with the buttercream frosting. Today, I'm going to share a few of my favorite geektastic cakes.

First up: Video Games!


Here's Crash! I sketched Crash Bandicoot several times (do you know how many versions of Crash exist?!) before finally settling on this design. Very fun and super cute. I'll be adding my sketches to my Deviantart account, so you can check it out here: http://lovellschibichara.deviantart.com/ if you want.




Next, Mortal Kombat! My nephew wanted the gray background, Mortal Kombat logo, and stick figures fighting around the edge. I, of course, had to oblige! Fun fact: the inside was filled with strawberry gel so that the cake would bleed when cut.




The cake is not a lie. These cakes were inspired by the video game Portal for my brother's birthday. I know that the one portal should be more orange, but I ran out of the color X-P. Also, I was very upset that my dark gray faded on the companion cube, but I promise you: it was dark gray. Fun fact: the portal cakes are chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting! Yum!


My most recent game cake: a zombie from Zombieville USA. I had to make the light green zombie not the dark green or the grayish! It was very fun drawing this little guy...I also enjoyed making the blood with the bone sticking out of it. Does that make me weird?

Next time on Geek Cakes, I'll share some of my anime-inspired cakes. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment